Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Handmade: My Fall Time Handbag

I made myself a handbag! It's been so long since I've made a handbag and this one's been waiting to be sewn up since last May--when I bought the fabric. I like it. It makes me smile.


Pattern: BIG Handbag, designed by Claudia Miller
Fabrichome decor fabric by Mill Creek Fabrics for the exterior. Kona cotton for the lining.
Accessories: Japanese bag handles
Level: Beginner to Intermediate
Skill(s): straight seams, curved seams, patch pocket, double-welt pocket, lined handbag, hand sewn handles, hand sewing


It's a very big bag with an interior pocket, an exterior pocket, and a wide gusset that goes all the way around the bag.  It can be worn open or bunched up.


The interior pocket is divided into 3 parts and is helpful for sorting your little things, e.g. pens, gum, business cards, lip balm, prayer beads, phone. . .


The exterior pocket is a double-welt pocket and has no closure. I made it this way for easy access to my keys or my phone. It's a very handy pocket since this bag is so deep.


The handles are pre-fabricated and it's the first time I've used this type of handles. I really like them!

+/- (The good and not-so-good.)
I designed this bag myself and was inspired by a few bags I've seen online. It's so satisfying to dream up a project and then be able to create it! I am happy with the final result.

+I really like the look/design of this handbag.
+It was a simple bag to put together even with the addition of the double welt pocket and the handles.
+Handbags are a great way to sew up a project that doesn't require fitting (like garments).
+This handbag also makes for a great market or travel bag because it's big enough to hold a lot of things and pretty to boot!

-I hope to make another one but the next one will be a few inches shorter because a shorter handbag will be more practical for everyday use.
-This one is a bit too long for my liking and and has earned the name "bagzilla". Not a very pretty name for a pretty bag but a great way to describe its size!

Would you be interested in making this handbag? I'm considering putting together a pattern or teaching it as a class. Please let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment